Summer English Courses in UK for Young Learners
At Capital School of English in Bournemouth, England we have created and developed an outstanding English courses for Young Learners age 12*-15 years old. When travelling as part of a group students can be 11* years old.
We offer closed group mini-stay English courses throughout the year based at our main school and a dedicated Young Learners Centre at Rothesay Road, Bournemouth throughout the summer (07 July 2014 - 22 August 2014). Rothesay Road campus has;
- ‘State of the art’ classrooms with interactive whiteboards
- Maximum class size of 15
- Mixed nationality classes
- A challenging theme based curriculum
- Extension learning activities
- A computer suite
- On site sports facilities
- A cafeteria and tuck shop
- Swimming pool, indoor sports hall and outdoor courts
- Morning, afternoon and evening activities with dedicated Social Organisers
*We accept students from 10 years old as long as they are accompanied by their parent/s/legal guardian/Group leader and are accommodated in the same house for the duration of their stay.
Accommodation, visas, legal requirements etc., even before you reach the UK
Your parents are sent an information pack with rules and regulations, curfew times and a guide to either living in a homestay family or Residence to help prepare you before you arrive in England.
On arrival, we will provide a meet and greet service for new students (for under 16’s this is mandatory and by request for others), as well as transportation to your accommodation
Once safely delivered to your accommodation you will be in the care of one of our experienced Homestay families or Residential staff
On arrival at school we will provide a full introduction programme and orientation of the school and the town before lessons start to help you find your way around
You will receive a Handbook with a set of guidelines that will help you to enjoy your course at Capital School and provides guidelines for; Code of Behaviour, Health & Safety, Fire Safety, Emergency Procedures, Contact Numbers, Meal Times, Shopping Guide, Laundry and Activities Programme
Note: Under 16’s are only allowed out in the evenings when there is an organised school activity and they are normally back home by 9pm at the latest, apart from this they are the host family's responsibility.
Learning/English language couses
- You will be encouraged to work together with students from all over the world on themed based English courses, covering weekly topics chosen specifically for their appeal to Young Learners from your age group
- Each week you will work on a different English course, performing some tasks individually, and some in your groups. Your teacher will encourage you to build on your language knowledge whilst acquiring new language skills and vocabulary
- You will have two afternoons a week in Learning extension activities where you will develop the creative aspects of your theme/project
- Each English course has clear aims, objectives and a specific language area focus and your teacher is there to guide and help you achieve your best and adapt the course to suit your individual needs wherever possible.
An underlying ethos of our English course is that by respecting each other’s cultures, we can experience an academic and personal learning journey together.
Language and study skills
- Skills practice: speaking, reading, writing and listening
- Grammar, functions, vocabulary and pronunciation, in an interactive and enjoyable way
- Study skills: by setting objectives for your tasks, researching information on the Internet and working collaboratively to reach deadlines
- Tasks to complete your project
Activities and making friends
Lessons are either 9am - 12.30pm or 1.30 pm – 5.00pm (peak times only)
The extra sport and activity programmes are led by a team of Social Organisers, who make sure the students have a good time while learning the English language in a safe environment. Staff trained in first aid and safeguarding are on duty at every activity and off site trip.
Onsite activities may include:
- Swimming (weather permitting!), tennis, rounders, basketball, volleyball and football
- Computer games, team challenges, dance and arts and crafts
Off site activities may include:
- Battle of the Beach, mini – Olympics, beach volleyball, ice skating and mini-golf
- Evening activities may include fashion shows, movie nights, quizzes, karaoke and drama
- Each Thursday evening will be a whole school Learning Extension Activity such as a Masquerade Ball, Night at the Oscars, Science Fair, Carnival etc